PROPERTY TAX ASSISTANCE
Circuit Breaker is a statewide property tax relief program providing property tax credits to elderly homeowners. For more information and to download an
application visit the Homeowner’s Tax Relief Program.
To qualify a person must:
- Be 65 years of age or older OR
- Have a spouse who is 65 or older OR
- Be at least 50 years old and the surviving spouse of someone who was
eligible for the program at the time of their death
- Applicants must occupy the property for which they are applying for a tax
- Total income limits apply. “Qualifying income” is defined as all taxable and
- Filing period is from February 1st to May 15th of each year
Veterans Property Tax Exemptions
Veterans who served during wartime are eligible for a reduction on their property taxes.
Exemptions must be claimed by October 1 for the following year. Income eligible veterans may apply at their town’s tax assessor’s office between February 1st and October 1st.
Local Property Tax Relief/Deferral Programs:
Most cities and towns have their own property tax relief or tax deferral programs in addition to the state Circuit Breaker program.
For more information on your town’s program or to apply for either of the programs, please contact your town’s Tax Assessor’s Office at the numbers
For additional information on Energy & Utility Assistance:
- CHOICES at (800) 994-9422 or (203) 333-9288.